Skip Navigation - Go to main content
Quick Links
Browse By Subject



Related Topics

Contracting with the Research, Education, and Economics Mission Area of the U.S. Department of Agriculture

The Administrative and Financial Management Staff of the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) has prepared this web page to assist you, the prospective contractor, in marketing your business to us. This web page also provides some background on our mission area: who we are, where we are, and what we buy. We welcome your personal or written inquiries.



Learn About REE:
Who We Are, What We're Here For

The Research, Education, and Economic (REE) Mission Area is a cluster of four agencies within the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) sharing one mission:  REE is dedicated to the creation of a sustainable, competitive U.S. food and fiber system and strong, healthy communities, families, and youth through integrated research, analysis, and education.



REE consists of:

Find Out What We Procure

In the conduct of their programs, REE agencies procure a wide variety of supplies, equipment and services through the use of simplified acquisition procedures under the Simplified Acquisition Threshold and through sealed bidding and negotiated procurements. Some examples include:

  • ADP equipment and services
  • Architect-engineer (A-E) services
  • Books and periodicals
  • Chemicals
  • Construction: buildings and laboratories
  • Enviornmental Remediation Services/Hazardous waste removal
  • Facilities management services
  • Guard services
  • Hay, feed, seed, and grain
  • Janitorial services
  • Laboratory/scientific equipment and supplies
  • Management and professional services
  • Office machines and supplies
  • Refuse collection
  • Repair and maintenance services
  • Telecommunications
  • Tractors and other farm vehicles/equipment

Supply a Capability Statement

Firms or individuals wishing to do business with REE should provide a capability statement identifying their areas of expertise. Standard Form 129, Solicitation Mailing List Application, is available for this purpose.

Completed copies of the SF-129 should be sent to the Business Service Center Acquisition and Property Branch servicing the geographical area in which you wish to do business.

Architectural-engineering firms that wish to do business with ARS should file a Standard Form 330, Architect-Engineer Qualifications.

Completed copies of the SF-330 and any inquires relating to A-E should be directed to Business Service Center Acquisition and Property Branch servicing the geographical area in which you wish to do business.

In submitting the appropriate form, your firm should provide enough supplemental information to ensure that the agency can fully comprehend your firm's products and capabilities.

Perhaps Your Firm Can Subcontract

Recognizing that small firms often do not have the capability to perform as prime contractors on certain large contracts, ARS promotes involvement of small businesses at the subcontracting level. Special contract clauses that require the prime contractor to maximize small business and minority business subcontracting opportunities are included in large ARS prime contracts.  Many prime contractors are encouraged to advertise subcontracting opportunities in the Commerce Business Daily. Small and disadvantaged business firms are, therefore, encouraged to identify their capabilities to major prime contractors. For further information, visit the REE Subcontracting Directory.

ARS Contracting Offices

A Small Disadvantaged Business Utilization Coordinator is located at Headquarters and each Business Service Center.

Discrimination Disclaimer

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in its programs on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, and marital or
familial status. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print,
audiotape, etc.) should contact the USDA Office of Communications at (202) 720-2791.

To file a complaint, write the Secretary of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C., 20250 or call (202) 720-7327 (voice) or (202) 720-1127 (TDD). USDA is an equal employment opportunity employer.

Check Out Other Resources

For additional information on how to contract with the U.S. Government or USDA, please the contact the following offices, or visit the following web sites:

Last Updated: 07/12/2010